Merry Mat Mug Rug
by Stacy Wilkinson
This written pattern can be used with the video tutorial on the “Handmade by Stacy J” YouTube channel. This is a quick and easy gift to make for someone, or to gift to yourself. There is an option for making the Merry Mat without fringe, as well. Click here to view the video tutorial.
If you would like to purchase an ad-free pdf of this pattern (that includes a row tracking checklist AND a pdf
of 2 gift tag options), please visit my Ravelry Store.
Difficulty level: Easy
Written in US Terms
K - Knit
P - Purl
Sl2 - Slip 2 stitches off, one at a time, purl wise
KnitPicks Straight Knitting needles, size 6 (4.00 mm)
Caron Simply Soft (100% Acrylic, Medium 4 weight in colors:
Color A: Autumn Red - 30 yards; Color B: White - 16 yards
Crochet hook - 4mm or size G (For helping with fringe)
Gauge: 13 rows x 10 sts: 2” in Stockinette Stitch
Measures: 8"x 6"
• When slipping stitches with RS facing, yarn will be held at the back; when slipping stitches with WS facing, yarn will be held at the front; You can adapt the pattern to be wider by adding stitches in increments of 4 and taller by doing more repeats of the pattern.
Color A: Cast on 36
Color A: Knit one row
1. (RS) Color A: Knit
2. (WS) Color A: K2, p to last 2 sts, k2
3. Color B: K5, *sl2 wyib, k2; rep * to last 3 sts, k3
4. Color B: K2, P3, *sl2 wyif, p2; rep * to last 3 sts, p1, k2
5. Color A: Knit
6. Color A: K2, p to last 2 sts, k2
7. Color B: K3, *sl2 wyib, k2; rep * to last st, k1
8. Color B: K2, p1 *sl2 wyif, p2; rep to last 5 sts, sl2 wyif, p1, k2
Rep Pattern rows 1-8 three more times
Rep Pattern rows 1-6 once more
Knit 2 rows
Bind off knit wise
Fringe: Cut 18 - 6” pieces of color B & 20 - 6” pieces of color A; Add as fringe using one strand to short edge of mug rug in coordinating rows. Then, trim fringe for consistent length.
Without Fringe: Pick up stitches along short edge (1 st per row) and knit 2 rows;
Bind off knitwise and do the same for the other side.
Block and enjoy with your favorite snack and drink!
I’d love to see your Merry Mat - please take pictures, tag me on social media with #handmadebystacyj and link to the Ravelry project page!
You are welcome to gift and / or sell your finished items. If you are selling them, I simply ask that you credit Handmade by Stacy J as the designer and purchase the ad-free pdf.
Disclosure: To continue making free patterns and tutorials, all the ads on this page are companies that I am an affiliate for. By clicking on and purchasing from these ads, you are allowing the company to pay me a small commission, while not costing you a penny more. Thank you for your support.